The Elite NH Mares’ Scheme will continue to reward the owners of those mares proven on the racecourse or at stud, by providing subsidised, and in some cases free, nominations.
The aim of the scheme is to underline to mare owners the quality of stallions available in this country, and to give a valuable incentive to TBA members who own such mares to cover them with the best from the ranks of young or proven stallions in Britain.
TBA members who own mares rated above 130, are eligible for a free or proportionately subsidised nomination to a British based stallion which meets the criteria and has been registered for the scheme.
Scheme Details 2019
TBA Members who own British based mares that have proved themselves to be of a defined level of NH racing performance, or have themselves produced a NH runner of a defined performance level, will be eligible to receive a subsidised or free nomination to one of a select group of British based stallions.
Eligible mares are divided into three separate categories:
Category 1: Mares that have achieved a peak Official Rating of 140+ or more (Category 1a), or have produced a NH horse rated 145+ (mare) or 155+ (gelding), whilst racing in Great Britain, Ireland, or France (Category 1b).
Category 2: Mares that have achieved a peak Official Rating between 135 – 139 (Category 2a), or have produced a NH horse rated 140 – 144 (mare) or 150 – 154 (gelding), whilst racing in Great Britain, Ireland, or France (Category 2b).
Category 3: Mares that have achieved a peak Official Rating of 130 – 134 (Category 3a), or have produced a NH horse rated 135 – 139 (mare) or 145 – 149 (gelding), whilst racing in Great Britain, Ireland, or France (Category 3b).
Winners of Black-Type races over obstacles will be treated as having the following minimum rating, regardless of Official Rating:
– Grade 1 winners or winners of 3 Grade 2 events: 145 mares, 155 geldings;
– Grade 2 winners or winners of 3 Grade 3/ Listed WFA events: 140 mares, 150 geldings;
– Winners of two Grade 3/Listed WFA races; 135 mares, 145 geldings;
– Grade 3 winners or Listed WFA winners: 130 mares, 140 geldings;
A mare that would qualify for the Scheme by satisfying multiple criteria (either as a race mare and producer, or as producer of more than one qualifying horse) will be regarded as having achieved an Official Rating increased by 10lb for every additional qualification.
Owners of Elite Mares will receive a voucher entitling the mare to a discount on the advertised nomination fee to any of the eligible stallions in the scheme. The voucher value is determined on the category of the Elite Mare;
Category 1: £4,000; Category 2: £3,000; Category 3: £2,000.
The vouchers are only valid for the 2019 breeding season and the grants are paid direct to the stallion owner on receipt of a valid 1st October pregnancy certificate to the TBA office.
If you believe your mare has attained the necessary credentials to be in a different category, or qualified for the scheme through her progeny, please click the link to download an application form. Click here for terms & conditions.
Please click here for a list of eligible stallions for the 2019 scheme.
If you believe your mare has attained the necessary credentials to be in a different category, or qualified for the scheme through her progeny, please contact the TBA office (01638 661321) or email@example.com.
Depending on which category your mare belongs to, she will be entitled to a voucher for the amounts above accordingly. You are able to redeem your voucher by choosing to nominate your mare for any of the stallions eligible for the scheme listed in this booklet. If a stallion has recently retired and you believe he has achieved one or more of the required criteria, please contact the TBA office as it may be possible to send your mare to him under the scheme.
After selecting a stallion, you should:
1. Complete the form available from the TBA (or download the form at the top of this page), giving the name of the mare and the stallion you wish her to visit.
2. If the advertised fee of the stallion is equal to or less than the value of the voucher, the only payment you will be required to make is of VAT on 75% of the advertised fee. No refund will be made in respect of any voucher of greater value than the advertised fee.
3. If the advertised fee of the Stallion is greater than the value of the voucher, you will be required to pay the excess sum, plus VAT on this sum, plus VAT on 75% of the voucher value.
4. The TBA will advise you whether your application has been accepted after the closing date of 31 January 2019. The Nomination Agreement will then be sent direct from the stallion stud.
N.B. Should demand exceed the funds allocated for the Scheme, or funds be reduced to the extent that the Scheme becomes untenable, the TBA reserve the right to withdraw or amend the Scheme at any time. In particular, any excess of demand over available funds may be dealt with by reducing the value of vouchers awarded for Category 3 mares to £1,000. If this step becomes necessary, every effort will be made to notify those affected as soon as possible.